Friday 7 May 2010

Khan: I can beat Pacquiao -- ESPN Star

ESPNStar.com

Amir Khan: A Boy from Bolton: My StoryAmir Khan says he'll be ready Manny Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr in a year's time.

A fight between Pacquiao and Mayweather - victorious over Shane Mosley last weekend - remains the match the whole of boxing wants to see.

And if that happens Khan hopes to put himself in line to face the winner.

Amir defends his WBA light-welterweight title in his Stateside debut against Paulie Malignaggi at Madison Square Garden on May 15.

And he says he has the belief he could beat Pacquiao - his stablemate and occasional sparring partner at Freddie Roach's Wild Card gym.

He told GQ magazine: "Yes, you have to believe that, and I do. In the Wild Card gym, all the guys there want to knock your head off, so you have to be mentally as well as physically prepared. Freddie Roach said it was like watching a cockfight when I sparred with Manny, because we were so quick."

When asked if he'll fight Pacquiao in the future, Khan responded: "I think so, yes. In 12 months from now. I will be ready for him - and Floyd Mayweather Jr."

If Pacquiao and Mayweather do finally agree on drug-testing prodedures and get it on inside the ring, Khan believes it's the Filipino ace who would prevail.

"That's a tough one, but I would say Manny. He's more aggressive and I think he would take Mayweather into an uncomfortable zone where he hasn't been for a very long time. Floyd likes to control a fight, but so does Manny, and he has a higher work rate."

Khan, full of confidence after recovering brilliantly from that knockout loss by Breidis Prescott, says timing his step up to fight the likes of Manny or Floyd is crucial.

He explained: "You have to know the best time to have these big fights in your career. If you look at Oscar De La Hoya, he fought all the best fighters when they were on the way downhill, and not at their best. I want to catch these guys when they have come off their peak. But I have to be careful because there might be a younger version of me coming up who wants to do exactly the same to me."

Source: espnstar.com

No comments:

Post a Comment