Saturday 1 May 2010

Greats Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas Hearns discuss Mayweather-Mosley -- USA Today

By Bob Velin, USA TODAY

LAS VEGAS — Two ring legends who know a big fight when they see one, weighed in Friday on Saturday's megafight between Floyd Mayweather and Sugar Shane Mosley.

Sugar Ray Leonard and Thomas "Hitman" Hearns, who fought two titanic battles at welterweight and super middleweight that spanned the 1980s, say the Mayweather-Mosley matchup is a battle for bragging rights more than anything else.

"I see this fight as rather intriguing," said Leonard, looking like he could still go a few rounds. "I know a lot of people are leaning toward Floyd Mayweather. Most of the time fights don't live up to expectations. But fights like this, with Mosley and Mayweather, are highly anticipated.

"I truly believe that these two guys will indeed live up to expectations, because whether they say it or not, it is about bragging rights. Yeah it's about the money. Everyone wants the money, but for the guy who wins, it's bragging rights."

Leonard, who ended his Hall of Fame career with a 36-3-1 record, said he has yet to see Mayweather hurt or knocked down, but, "on the other hand I see Sugar Shane Mosley as a guy who could penetrate his impeccable defense," he said. "I had a premonition the other night and I saw a knockout by someone. I am not a guru, I am not a psychic, but I did see a knockout."

Hearns, whose career spanned nearly 30 years (1977-2006), said about Saturday night's matchup (HBO pay-per-view, 9 p.m. ET), "Mayweather will try to dominate with slick punches. He may do well. Shane is going to try to test and see if Mayweather can take a shot. We have to see if he can. Shane has the ability to punch and Floyd will have to be smart and slick.

"This is going to be a very good fight. I think it is going to be a very competitive fight. It is going to be a chess match."

Both fighters said this fight could not compare to their two fights — the first for the undisputed welterweight title in 1981, which ended with Leonard stopping Hearns in the 14th round, and the second for the super middleweight title in 1989 that ended in a draw.

I don't see it being the same as me and Ray," said Hearns. "We set the standard and it's going to be tough to top what we did. I am proud to know Ray Leonard.

"Ray brought the best out of me and I think I brought the best out of him. It's going to be a great fight this Saturday night, but don't look for the same thing as happened in our fight. That was a different era."

Asked to compare the state of boxing today and during their era, Leonard said there is no comparison.

"Back in the day, fights were highly anticipated. There were more personalities. There were more superstars in boxing," Leonard said. "It bothers me that we don't have an American heavyweight champion. To me it is a dark period right now. (But) boxing is a resilient sport. The amateur foundation has diminished significantly. Amateur boxers are going to be champions years later, and there needs to be more support and sponsorships for the amateur programs."

Asked about a fantasy matchup between Mayweather and one of them, Hearns said the size difference would be hard to overcome.

"I think that Floyd would have been too small for us. We were big welterweights," said Hearns, who finished his career with a 61-5-1 record (48 KOs). "Floyd is a small guy. I am not saying because he is small he wouldn't be able to do it, but it would have been very difficult. I think Ray knows more about that than I do."

Leonard certainly knew more about Hearns.

"Tommy is a freak of nature for a welterweight," he said. "He's big, strong, powerful, has a big heart, and I don't think anyone could beat Tommy Hearns… except me."

Source: usatoday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment