Monday 19 April 2010

I'm the man to tame the Cobra -- The Sun

By GAVIN GLICKSMAN, The Sun

MIKKEL KESSLER wants to revive his career by becoming the first man to defeat Carl Froch.

Kessler faces the WBC super-middleweight champion on Saturday night knowing a loss will move him a massive step closer to elimination from the Super Six tournament.

Froch has cranked up the pressure by claiming his opponent is in the last chance saloon after dropping the WBA title to Andre Ward in California last November.

But the Viking Warrior has vowed to bounce back and relieve the Cobra of both his belt and his unbeaten record.

Kessler, 31, said: "I had a few bad nights after losing to Ward.

"Nothing worked for me in Oakland, but now I am back, better and stronger than ever.

"I don't want to speak about Ward any more — all my focus is on my next fight.

"It is a fact that I need to win to keep alive my hopes of winning the Super Six.

"This really is my last chance and I will make the most of it."

Kessler was trailing on all three judges' scorecards when a bad cut resulted in his fight with Ward being stopped in the 11th round.

The American was awarded a technical decision and Kessler was left licking his wounds after the second defeat of his career.


Advertisement

Kessler did not agree with the controversial stoppage but insists there will be no repeat when he faces Froch on home soil in the Danish city of Herning.

He added: "I am feeling great. We had a great preparation with my new trainer Jimmy Montoya and my physical coach Thomas Maicon.

"I started in early January and I am really eager to get into the ring and defeat the Cobra.

"My home fans always give me the extra five per cent. The bottom line is I have never been beaten in Denmark and I never will."

Froch wants to KO Kessler to guarantee his place in the Super Six semi-finals with one fight to spare.

He already has two points on the board after a split-decision victory against Andre Dirrell.

Knocking out Kessler will hand him three more points and leave him top of the Super Six table.

But the Dane has told the Nottingham puncher to prepare to go home empty-handed.

Kessler said: "I don't think Froch will pick up any points from his visit to Denmark."

Source: thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment