Sunday 4 April 2010

Bernard Hopkins UD 12 Roy Jones Was Not Worth The Wait -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Bernard Hopkins went from "The Executioner" to "The Exorcist" against Roy Jones (pictured at right, against Hopkins above), albeit, before a largely disappointed audience in a boring fight on Saturday night at The Mandalay Bay Hotel in Las Vegas.

The 45-year-old Hopkins avenged a May 1993, loss to to Jones with a lackluster, foul-filled light heavyweight (175 pounds), 12-round unanimous decision victory over his 41-year-old rival, rising to 51-5-1, with 32 knockouts, and dropping Jones to 54-7, with 40 KOs.

"It was worth it, and it was sweet revenge," said Hopkins, whose loss to Jones by unanimous decision earned the latter the vacant IBF middleweight (160 pounds) title by at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C.

Judges Glenn Trowbridge and Don Trella had it 117-110, for Hopkins, with Dave Moretti, scroing it 118-109. FanHouse had it for Hopkins, 119-107

"It was kind of rough," said Hopkins. "But Roy's a veteran. He was tying me up, I was tying him up. It was a good fight. I mean, it was as good fight."

But there will be many who would argue that Hopkins is completely wrong in his assesment of the contest.
Known for his own sometimes dirty tactics, Hopkins was the one who complained of being fouled three times by Jones, who landed rabbit punches in the sixth, and, eighth round, and who also fired a low blow against Hopkins in the 10th.

Hopkins went down and complained for long stretches each time, with Jones being penalized a point by referee Tony Weeks in the sixth.

But Hopkins clearly landed at least one low blow before Jones did, and, also, fired a rabbit punch in the eighth prior to Jones', which was in retaliation.

"I fought through [dizzyness] after the first six rounds. I saw spots, you know. I've been hit behind the head in the gym, you know, but not without a head gear on. So right now, I'm toughing it out doing this interview with you. But I've been seeing spots since six rounds," said Hopkins during a post-fight interview with ringside commentator, Doug Fischer.

"I was just trying to smother him up so that he couldn't counter because he's still got speed. I was trying to stay on top of him, keep the pressure on, throwing combinations," said Hopkins.

"I saw that I could get inside and throw punches. I just felt that I got hit in the back of the head and my legs just went. I saw spots. I'm in shape for the fight, but I'm still human in there," said Hopkins.

"I was mad after the sixth round. I've got respect for Roy, but he was trying to get me to get myself out of the fight by retaliating back, or trying to get out of the fight by saying that I hit him low or by hitting me behind the head," said Hopkins. "But I'm a scrappy Philadelphia fighter. I might not be pretty, but I might not be flashy, but I'm a hard, blue collar worker like most Americans."

Hopkins said that he would next like to face 29-year-old, WBA heavyweight champion, David Haye (24-1, 24 KOs), who, earlier in the day, stopped 48-year-old, former two-time heavyweight champion, John Ruiz (44-9-1, 30 KOs) in England.

The victory was the 14th straight for Haye, and the 12th by knockout during that stretch.

"I want David Haye," said Hopkins. "I want to win the heavyweight championship of the world."

Jones said that he felt he was unfairly penalized, and that he was concerned about being disqualified from the sixth round on.

"Bernard Hopkins does like he always does. He was going to get his rest. He's a real crafty veteran. He was hitting me behind the head, and the refs don't say nothing. But when I hit him, I get points taken and everything else," said Jones.

"But that's Bernard Hopkins, and you've got to know that, he's a veteran," said Jones. "I was worried about that after the first time, so that's why I went for the knock out. Because if I did it too much, I was going to get disqualified."

Jones also had to endure a cut over his left eye that was caused early in the fight by a punch, but which was reopened later by an accidental head butt.

"The fouls didn't affect the way that I fought, but I just knew that if I did it too much, that I was going to get disqualified," said Jones, who wagered with Hopkins that the man who knocked out the other would earn a 60-40 split of their purses.

"I kind of got behind because so many things were going on. But I was trying to get the knockout because I wanted that 60-40, I ain't going to lie. I was trying to knock him out," said Jones. "I feel great. At this age, I'm still able to go. That was a great fight. I can't take nothing away from him. It was a hard type of a fight. He did the normal Bernard Hopkins."

For Jones, who was largely ineffective and inactive throughout the fight, it could mark the end of a nearly 21-year-long career.

Jones was coming off of December's first-round knockout loss to Austrailia's Danny Green, a fight that took place at cruiserweight (200 pounds).

Jones has also been stopped by Antonio Tarver, and, Glen Johnson, in two, and, nine rounds, respectively. Jones is 5-6, in his last 11 fights.

But if Jones retires, he will do so as the first man to have won crowns as a middleweight, super middleweight (168 pounds), light heavyweight, and, heavyweight.

"I'll go back to my coach, and my dad, and we'll see what they think and I feel like I can still muster it, we'll keep on do it. But if I don't, then we'll call it a day," said Jones.

"I've had a wonderful career, I can't ask for too much better. God has blessed me time and time again," said Jones. "I love the fans, I love trying to give the fans what they want. It didn't happen tonight, but that's how it goes."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment