Friday 26 March 2010

Williams ready to call it quits -- The Sun

By PAT SHEEHAN, The Sun

DANNY WILLIAMS will quit boxing after his British heavyweight title defence against Sam Sexton, regardless of the result.

The 36-year-old appears on the undercard of Kevin Mitchell's world lightweight title bid against Michael Katsidis at Upton Park on May 15.

But win or lose against Commonwealth champion Sexton, Williams has pledged to hang up his gloves to train for his new career as a celebrity bodyguard.

He added: "Regardless of what happens in this fight with Sexton, I'm retiring. It makes me more hungry and more dangerous."

Ringside - The Best of Mike TysonWilliams famously beat Mike Tyson in 2004 before failing in a world title clash with Vitali Klitschko later that year.

But he rejected the chance of a 'decider' against Audley Harrison for the vacant European crown on April 9 because he was not given enough notice.

Williams beat Harrison in 2005 only to lose to the 2000 Olympic gold medallist a year later.

And he said: "I only had three weeks' notice and my trainer Jim McDonnell said that wasn't enough time.

"I took my second fight against Harrison at just five days notice and I've learned my lesson."

Williams' Upton Park finale was originally set for Wembley last month, but Sexton suffered a cut thumb in a kitchen accident which he blames on celebrity cook and Norwich City co-owner Delia Smith.

Sexton said: "I know Delia and was following one of her recipes but I'll be leaving the cooking to other people this time."

Source: thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment