Sunday 28 March 2010

The Quiet Man talks! -- Sky Sports

By Tim Hobbs, Sky Sports

John Ruiz is on the brink of boxing history.

While David Haye is the first British heavyweight to fight for a world title at home in 10 years, the man from Massachusetts can join an elite band and become a three-time world champion.

ESPN Classic Ringside: Top 10 HeavyweightsHe has a new trainer in his corner but at 38, this will be his 11th time contesting the WBA belt, his 55th professional bout in total.

Haye has called him 'the cure for insomnia', so skysports.com's Tim Hobbs spoke to the Quiet Man and found a fighter still very much alive...

You say this has been your longest training camp ever? Just when did you start preparing for David Haye?
JOHN RUIZ: If I started right after the (Adnan) Serin fight (November 7), took a couple of weeks off then got back into the motions with Miguel Diaz. We're enjoying this, I'm at a time on my life right now where I feel confident and at peace and we're enjoying the game actually.

You have a new trainer in Miguel Diaz. Does that mean you have been doing things differently?
RUIZ: Not really. It's the same strategy as always; we train hard and focus on getting into shape, making sure we're ready to fight - that's the one thing we always bring to the table. Miguel has got me turning my punches, he's got me doing plenty of things nowadays, so I am going back to my older days when I used to be a boxer-puncher. I used to be a bit of a brawler, but now he's brought me back to basics, boxing and throwing some good combinations.

Is there anything different about John Ruiz the man, then?
RUIZ: I see a new me every time I look in the mirror, I feel the energy. I've reached a point in my life where everything is going great. I've got a great team and a wonderful family and I'm getting support from everyone else and I'm just looking forward to the fight. I feel like I still have something to give in the sport. I feel great, I feel like I've stepped into the fountain of youth. I feel a lot younger, less weary and more determined to become heavyweight world champion

This will be your 11th world-title fight? Are you going into this with the feeling you have nothing to lose, everything to gain?
RUIZ: I look back on my career and the only thing I say to myself is I'm satisfied and happy with everything I've achieved. its been a rollercoaster ride but not too many guys can say they've been a world heavyweight champion, but I have... twice. I'm proud of that and I feel blessed that I get the opportunity to become a three-time world champion. To do that I would join some of the great names in the sport and it is certainly something I would be proud of.

It has been a long and illustrious career with plenty of highs and lows. Would you like to turn the clock back and change anything?
RUIZ: I feel comfortable with what I've done. I know it's been a tough ride and a hard road, but I will always be glad the way it worked out. There's a few things that probably could've gone right for me, but I'm just looking back and looking back at the positive side of it all and I know I have experienced and achieved more than some people have. I don't consider myself as someone maybe with a lot of talent, but I do consider myself as someone with a lot of determination.

What about David Haye? He likes to get under his opponents' skins with a few choice words. What do you make of him?
RUIZ: Well, he's not going to say anything I haven't heard before. At the same time I congratulate him for winning the title; it also gives me an opportunity to fight someone else other than (Nikolai) Valuev, because it seems like I couldn't get a break with that guy. This time with Haye I think it's better fight for me. I know he might be a better opponent than Valuev, but trust me, this is a better fight for me.

This will only be his fourth fight as a heavyweight, your 55th. Do you think that experience will tell when you get in the ring?
RUIZ: This is a test for both of us. It's a test for me to let the world know that I'm still around, still here and that I've still got the will to become world champion. And this is a test for him because he is going to realise this is a heavyweight fight here against a guy who comes to fight. He's going to have a tough fight on his hands and he has to overcome that. People say he hasn't faced a real heavyweight yet, so it is a bigger test for him.

This is clearly nothing new to you, but do you still get nervous, or is it a question of been there, seen it, done it?
RUIZ: Lately I've been feeling more relaxed before a fight and I've never really been used to this but sometimes you have to accept it. I'd rather get nervous going into a fight, but maybe I've been in this sport so long and now I realise it's just basically a question of just going in there and fighting.

Boxing in Britain is nothing new to you either, but it is 14 years since you last fought over here? What memories do you have of fighting over here?
RUIZ: I won my first title over there against Derek Roddy, which will always hold special memories for me. I had six fights in the UK which I managed to win and they weren't against easy guys, they were tough guys. So I am glad to have the opportunity to go come back to England for a while - it will be a pleasure for me.

What can Sky Box Office viewers and more importantly, David Haye expect from John Ruiz when that first bell sounds?
RUIZ: He has got a fight on his hands - that's the first thing he can expect. We know he likes to move around a lot and at times take things easy, but we want to throw him off the groove, let him know that basically he's going to have to throw enough punches to keep me away from him. Twelve rounds is a long time to be running around and that means I know I am going to get my opportunity.

And finally, he has called you a 'cure for insomnia'. Does that sort of criticism keep you awake at night?
RUIZ: If that's the worst thing he can say about me, then then I'm very shocked because people say he really likes to talk... but come on! If this is what he has to do to get motivated and get in fight mode, then he'd better do as much talking as he needs to. Come April 3, I'll be ready to do my talking.

Source: skysports.com

No comments:

Post a Comment