Tuesday 16 March 2010

Manny Pacquiao Focusing on 'More Serious' Congressional Fight -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Having surpassed the 50-victories milestone with Saturday night's one-sided, unanimous, 12-round decision over Joshua Clottey in defense of his WBO welterweight (147 pounds) title at The Dallas Cowboys' Stadium in Arlington, Tex., seven-division champion, Manny Pacquiao (pictured above, at right, against Clottey), of the Philippines said "now it is time for a more serious fight for me."

The 31-year-old Pacquiao (51-3-2, 38 knockouts), who won virtually every round on his match up with the 32-year-old Clottey (35-4, 20 KOs), will return to the Philippines to begin campaigning on March 26 for the May 10 congressional elections.

"The people of my province are among the poorest. They have been underserved for too long. I want to give a voice to those too weak to speak. They deserve better schools and a higher standard of living. I know how my people have suffered because I have too," said Pacquiao, whose father abandoned him at an early age.

"That is how I grew up, and because I am one of the fortunate ones to have escaped poverty, I am compelled to be a public servant for them," said Pacquiao, a man of deeply religious faith who obtained only an elementary education, passed his high school equivalency exam, and earned a college degree at Notre Dame of Dadiangas University, whose motto is "All to Jesus through Mary."

"If my being in public office can attract new businesses to relocate to my province, and to shine a light on the neglect my people have endured," Pacquiao said, "I am only too happy to serve."

A native of Kiamba, in the Sarangani Province of the Philippines who has become an iconic symbol to his nation, Pacquiao likely earned a guaranteed $12 million against Clottey, which will increase when his share of the pay per view numbers are calculated at the end of this week.

Pacquiao has also become a cross-over star in America, where, he has graced the cover of the Asian edition of Time Magazine, and has been featured in the American version of Time Magazine, as well as The New York Times, The LA Times, GQ Magazine, and ESPN's Body Issue.

Pacquiao also was twice a hit while singing during seperate guest appearances on Jimmy Kimmel Live, appeared on Good Morning America the morning of his bout with Clottey, and is being profiled for a fall appearance on 60 minutes.

"One of the biggest advantages I have is that every fight is an opportunity to give honor to the Philippines," said Pacquiao, who earned his biggest career payday -- a guaranteed $13 million, plus upside to the pay preview -- by knocking out Miguel Cotto in the 12th round on Nov. 14 to earn his present WBO crown.

"The Filipino people don't just give me their support, they also give me their strength, their pride and their love," said Pacquiao. "Running for congress is a way for me to repay them."

Against Clottey on Saturday night, Pacquiao threw four times as many punches (1,231 to 399) as his opponent, out-landing him, 246-to-108. Pacquiao threw 549 jabs to 162 for Clottey, who out-landed the champion in that category, 26-to-14.

Pacquiao connected on 232 of 682 power-punches compared to 82 of 237 for Clottey, improving to 12-0, with eight knockouts since his last loss in March of 2005, and rising to 19-1-2 with 15 KOs under Four-time Trainer Of The Year, Freddie Roach.

"Nothing personal, just doing my job. I thank [Cowboys' owner,] Jerry Jones, for giving me the opportunity to headline the first boxing event in Cowboys Stadium. He was a magnificent host," said Pacquiao. "And the people of Arlington, Dallas and Ft.Worth, Texas were wonderful. I will never forget my time there, and I hope they do me the honor of inviting me back."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

No comments:

Post a Comment