Friday 19 March 2010

Golden guy Schaefer: I'm walking High Road despite mudslingers -- The Examiner

By Michael Marley, Examiner.com

Richard Schaefer, former Swiss banker who has struck gold working for Oscar de la Hoya, is trying to take the high road this particular year.

I mean the high road as opposed to swapping verbal punches with Golden Boy rivals in the business of disorganized brain damage, meaning boxing.

"That's my New Year's resolution," Schaefer told me. "Whatever Lou DiBella says or whatever Bob Arum or Gary Shaw says, I don't feel the need to reply in asn insulting manner. Let them all engage in that but I don't have to. I just believe it's not necessary."

As an example of not roiling the waters, Schaefer said at the Amir Khan-Paulie Maliganggi press conference for their May 15 Madison Square Garden that he would not make any reference to the continuing smears and allegations about Manny Pacquiao cheating with drugs.

"I am not," Schaefer said, grinning, "even going to use the P word."

Obviously, he meant "p" as in performance enhancing drugs (PEDs).

Conversely, New York based DiBella said invective can be useful in the ongoing internecine battles in boxing.

"It's the nature of a brutal, competitive business," the former HBO Sports boxing honcho said. "There are times when invective and mudslinging really can't be avoided. You can't just take such tactics and lay down."

But Schaefer said he continue trying to walk down the High Road.

Good luck on that.

But I will say this, Schaefer is not the humorless prig some people think.

He must have a sense of humor as he even speaks to the likes of me.

(mlcmarley@aol.com)

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment