Thursday 4 February 2010

Roach: Khan will devastate Marquez like he did Barrera -- Telegraph

By Gareth A Davies, Telegraph.co.uk

Freddie Roach gave me his assessment last night on two fast-rising British fighters, Amir Khan, and the American trainer’s latest pupil to cross the water – Matthew Macklin.

So what does he think of the match-up being inked for Amir Khan – against Mexican legend Juan Manuel Marquez ? “It’s a great fight for him (Khan). I can compare it to his his fight with Marco Antonio Barrera. I think he’s too young, too fast, I think he will devastate him. This is the right fight for Amir, in America, at the right time.

Yes, I do think Marquez is a still a live fighter, a dangerous opponent for Amir, and I’d like to see it in Vegas. He wins it – he will become a superstar and it will get him well-known.”

The contest is expected to be on May 15, according to Richard Schaefer, CEO of Golden Boy Promotions. So when is he expecting Khan to return to the Wild Czrd Gym in Hollywood ?…”Around early March, it will be a good time for him, too, because he will be around Manny Pacquiao as he prepares for Joshua Clottey. It will dovetail nicely. Amir will be here with plenty of good sparring partners.”

So, to Matthew Macklin. Does Roach see the Irish Brummie as having world title potential ?…”Definitely. I know Matthew as he had been here before training in the gym. We’ve been talking to his manager and we are expecting him here soon. I’ll be going to England with him for his European title defence.”

“I certainly hope we can get him a world title this year, and I think he has a bright future. Right now there are a lot of names in the middleweight division, and I think with a little more work we can match him with Kelly Pavlik. He’s the number one guy, the most well known of the middleweights and the most popular in the States. Macklin is really strong – and a lovely boxer.”

Source: blogs.telegraph.co.uk

***





No comments:

Post a Comment