Wednesday 10 February 2010

Filipino Prospect Mercito Gesta Coming to San Diego -- 411mania

By Patrick Cassidy, 411mania.com

Will Gesta prove to be the next Filipino super star?

Mercito Gesta (16 - 0 - 1 7 KO's) has built up a strong reputation in his homeland of the Phillipines and is now looking to make his impact stateside as he returns to action on Thursday, Febuary 25th at the Four Points Sheraton in San Diego, Ca. Gesta will be taking journeyman Jaime Orrantia in a bout designed to shake off the ring rust from Gesta's recent inactivity.

"I'm excited. It's been a long time since I fought," the 22-year-old said. "I am ready to do what I have been doing before, get in and get out, but with out under estimating my opponent."

Gesta has not fought since July of last year and is currently in the middle of a knockout streak that he belives will carry over to his fight later in the month. He's currently training at the Wild Card Gym in Hollywood, Ca with his trainer Karl Penalosa all the while the Manny Pacquiao circus swirls around him.

"I am doing good, I'm back again with my coach who was back home for vacation," Gesta states. "Sparring is better up here. It's a little crazy with all the people here for Manny but I still get my training."

Regardless of the circus, Gesta is taking his opponent seriously and believes this is the year that he'll shine.

"We want to keep Mercito busy this year. He has been in the gym all this time and he ready to shine," Vince Parra, Gesta's manager stated. "We want three fights this year, with the last one being a title fight at 135 lbs."

Source: 411mania.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment