Sunday 17 January 2010

VIDEO SPURS RICKY HATTON ON -- NOTW

By STEVE LILLIS, News of The World

RICKY HATTON decided to box again after seeing a video of his brutal defeat by Manny Pacquiao - but has ruled out a Battle of Britain clash with Amir Khan.

He ignored pleas to retire after getting knocked out inside two rounds by the Filipino last May, and will box again this summer.

Hatton, 31, finally watched the horror loss six weeks ago and admits: "I saw the video and thought I can't go out like that.

"It wasn't very nice to see myself laying there. A fighter who was half of Manny would have beaten me that night.

"Sparring partners were beating me up before the fight."

Possible Hatton opponents are Mexican Juan Manuel Marquez and South African Lovemore N'Dou, a far easier option.

Hatton resumes training when he returns from a holiday in Australia next month.

He joked: "I've got weight to shift. My last drink will be a pint in Australia next month."

A showdown later this year against WBA light-welterweight champion Khan could generate £30million and become the biggest domestic fight ever.

Hatton said: "It's a natural, but Amir probably needs me and I don't necessarily need him.

"I say that with the greatest respect. He is my friend and what an absolute champion he is for bouncing back after a defeat.

"His promoter is Frank Warren and we've had our differences in the past so I can't see that working."

Source: newsoftheworld.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Funny, but the same video could put Ricky Hatton in real physical danger if he indeed fights.

    ReplyDelete