Thursday 14 January 2010

Ricky's ready to rumble again - The Sun

By GAVIN GLICKSMAN, The Sun

RICKY HATTON has confirmed he will return to the ring later this year.
The Hitman's last outing was a two-round demolition at the hands of pound-for-pound king Manny Pacquiao last May.

Hatton admits his preparation for the showdown with the Filipino was beset by problems and he is determined to prove he can still cut it at the highest level.

Speaking to Hatton TV, he said: "I've decided to make a comeback and have another fight, probably around the summertime.

"There's no opponent confirmed yet, or a date, but the point is I've made my mind up to have one more fight.

"I've had a good break and plenty of time to reflect, put the Pacquiao defeat behind me and get my mind straight.

"I've had a good rest and really recharged the batteries, so I'm happy to get back at it now.

"I go on holiday with my girlfriend to Australia soon, but as soon as I'm back I'll start training.

"I'll shed the extra weight I'm carrying and then have my normal 12-week training camp."

Hatton has also hinted he may not be returning for just one final farewell fight.

The 31-year-old added: "It may be two fights instead one, but it all depends how I perform.

"It's always hard coming back from a defeat and there was reasons behind what happened.

"My training camp didn't always go to plan and a lesser fighter than Pacquiao could probably have knocked me out too."

Juan Manuel Marquez, 36, currently appears to be one of the fighters on Hatton's radar.

The Mexican lightweight king is scheduled to fight on May 1, but an opponent has yet to be named.

Marquez was defeated by Floyd Mayweather Jnr via unanimous decision in Las Vegas last September.

Another option could be IBF light-welterweight champion Juan Urango, who Hatton defeated in 2007.

The Hitman added: "We're looking at Urango. It's got to be a top-10 ranked pound-for-pound fighter or a world champion of some sort."

Source: thesun.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment