Friday 22 January 2010

Pacquiao sets sights on Mayweather bout - CNN

CNN

Manny Pacquiao has not given up on fighting Floyd Mayweather later this year, despite talks breaking down on a big-money contest in March.

World welterweight champion Pacquiao will now fight Ghana's Joshua Clottey in Dallas on March 13, following a breakdown in talks with Mayweather's camp ause of a row over blood and urine testing, but the Filipino is still hopeful that a deal can be agreed for the fight to take place this summer.

Talking to reporters in the run-up to the Clottey contest, Pacquiao admitted: "It will happen. I'm still hoping a fight with Mayweather will be pushed through, maybe by summer time.

Pacquiao's promoter Bob Arum said on Sunday that he also believed a fight at some point against Mayweather had not been totally ruled out. "There's always later in the year and next year, it's up to Mayweather."

Meanwhile, in an exclusive interview with CNN, Pacquiao revealed: "If Floyd wants that fight to happen then I think let the commission who implements the rules, not him, make the rules for the fight.

"Floyd is just a fighter. We're both fighters so he doesn't need to make the rules like that.

"But I am satisfied with my career now because of what I have done in boxing. I'm not the one who turned down the fight. Floyd Mayweather, he's the one that doesn't want the fight.

Despite still wanting to fight Mayweather, Pacquiao has also revealed that the American's recent drug-testing demands have cast him in a bad light.

He added: "I want to clear my name because I'm a very honest person. I'm very disappointed for what he accused me of. I'm clean. I'm not cheating. I'm a very honest fighter."

Source: edition.cnn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment