Tuesday 19 January 2010

Devastated Andre Berto Pulls Out of Fight With Mosley -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Emotionally distraught Andre Berto is pulling out of his scheduled Jan. 30 title matchup opposite Shane Mosley, as a result of having lost several family members during last week's earthquake in Haiti.

The 26-year-old Berto (25-0, 19 knockouts) "has not slept in about six days, and he's not physically well, and he's not mentally well," said Berto's promoter, Lou DiBella. "I made it clear to Andre a while ago that he didn't have to be a hero, and that he had to do what was right for himself and his family."

"Since the 7.0 earthquake struck Haiti on Tuesday evening, I have been focusing on my family and the Haitian people who are facing an inconceivable battle for survival while still trying to continue to prepare for an opportunity I have dreamt of since childhood," said Berto in a statement released on Monday.

"I lost several family members to the earthquake, and after two days without word, was relieved to learn that my sister, Naomi, and her daughter, Jessica, survived, but were left homeless," Berto said.

"I have seen the pain in my parents' eyes as they attempt to understand what has happened to our homeland and recognize a place they once called home," said Berto. "As a result of this disaster, I am mentally and physically exhausted and therefore I have no choice but to withdraw from my bout on January 30."

Berto's oldest sibling, Naomi, and her 12-year-old daughter were missing until Thursday -- two days after the earthquake struck -- when they were found wandering Haiti's rubble-filled streets.

But by then, Berto told FanHouse that he already had discovered "about eight or nine relatives in all who we know are dead right now."

"Mentally, I've been trying to get my workouts in, regardless, but my mind has definitely been on this [Haiti] situation," said Berto, a Hatian-American who represented the island nation in the 2004 Olympics and whose parents, Diuseul and Wilnise, were born in Haiti.

"This fight is the biggest fight of my life," said Berto. "But Haiti -- and the people of Haiti -- they are my life."

On Sunday night, FanHouse learned that the 38-year-old Mosley, who is the WBC's super champ, will meet Floyd Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs) on May 1 at a site and location to be determined.

"This is a young man going through a horrible, horrible horror. Just watch the pictures on CNN if you're not Hatian. But if you've lost family, and if your parents are born there, then the horrors are immeasurable," said DiBella, a New York native and resident who "was a mess for months after 9-11, but I didn't lose any family members."

"Literally, an entire city has collapsed, and placed people in jeopardy. And those people are Andre Berto's people. Andre has a long career ahead of him, and this is a personal decision, and, obviously, the right decision for him," said DiBella.

"There's no second-guessing here. Everyone from HBO, to Golden Boy Promotions, to everyone we've talked to -- the reaction has all been about empathy and humanity because that's what it should be."

Berto is assisting Hatians through his Web site, andreberto.com, as well as another, carmafoundation.org.

"Throughout the past six days, I have received an incredible outpouring of support, and I sincerely appreciate everyone's prayers for the people of Haiti," said Berto.

"I hope that everyone will continue to keep the Haitian people in their thoughts and prayers as we work to rebuild this proud nation," said Berto. "The rebuilding of Haiti is not something that will happen overnight, but I am fully dedicated to helping the Haitian people recover from this catastrophic event."

(Note: The Red Cross has set up a donation texting system wherein texting "HAITI," followed by, "90999," sends $10 per text to the Haitian Relief Fund. In addition, the U.S. government has designated a telephone number -- 1-888-407-4747 -- for people seeking information about friends and relatives in the country.)

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

1 comment:

  1. There's another twist to this story. When Mayweather-Pacquiao fight died, I was expecting Mosley-Mayweather fight would be done for two reasons: (1) Golden Boy controls DiBella and DiBella is Berto's manager. When Pacquiao accepted to fight Clottey, it left Mayweather no cledible opponent to fight. (2) Haiti eartquake would be a great opportunity to disguise the number (1) reason. I wonder how much they gave Berto.

    ReplyDelete