Wednesday 13 January 2010

DAVID HAYE TOLD TO KEEP MUM -- Daily Star

By Steve Lillis, Daily Star

MUM’S the word for David Haye after getting it in the ear from his shamefaced parent.

WBA heavyweight champion Haye’s reputation for trashing opponents has the same notoriety as his knockout ring performances.

But the Bermondsey boaster’s mum Jane wants her son to zip the lip and KO the insults. Haye, 29, is currently in Senegal supporting various charity projects.

He said: “My mum hates it. I get reprimanded every other night. I get calls from her and she says, ‘How dare you say this about this guy, he’s a human being. How would you like it if he said that about you?’

“I said, ‘Mum, this is boxing. He’s going to try to knock me out in a few weeks’.

“She knows it’s my personality, but she’s not impressed by it one bit. She brought me up to be a lot more respectful and she feels it might reflect badly on her."

“Slowly but surely I became a trash-talker though.” Haye, who has home advantage in April when he faces mandatory contender John Ruiz, puts his motor-mouth style down to former featherweight champion Prince Naseem Hamed.

He added: “I was a massive fan of Naseem when I was in my teens. He could do no wrong in my eyes. He was very funny. You’d hear an interview from him and you’d always have a real laugh. And that’s great. If it ruffles people’s feathers and gets their blood boiling, and if people hate me because of it, I say mission accomplished.”

Source: dailystar.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment