Wednesday 9 December 2009

Mayweather on Joe Buck Live: 'Pacquiao's Been KO'd Before' -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Five-time world champion, Floyd Mayweather, was a guest on HBO's Joe Buck Live on Tuesday night, closing the show with retired former New York Giants defensive star, Michael Strahan, and, actor and former rapper, Mark Wahlberg.

It was one of the rare appearances Mayweather (40-0, 25 knockouts) has made during the past month, during which intense negotiations have ensued involving Manny Pacquiao, adviser, Michael Koncz, promoter of Top Rank, Bob Arum, and Golden Boy Promotions,' Richard Schaefer, on behalf of Mayweather.

Mayweather had not spoken much if at all, publicly, other than a statement released by his publicists following the Nov. 14, 12th-round knockout of then-WBO welterweight (147 pounds) champion, Miguel Cotto, by Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs),. during which he asked the sport's first, seven-time titlist to "Step up to the plate,"

On Tuesday night, however, the man who has changed his nickname to "Money," as opposed to, "Pretty Boy," stole the show.

"I know that's going to happen. Sometimes, it's hard to predict what's going to happen because, of course, your job in boxing is like a cop's: One shot could end your whole career. It's different from a team sport, in that's it's one-on-one combat," Mayweather said during his final comments on the show.

"I think that I'm a very, very smart and intelligent fighter, and that's why I've been able to be in the sport of boxing so long, and dominate for so long. Just being smart," said Mayweather. "I always tell people all of the time, 'There's nothing cool about taking punishment and getting paid.'"

Mayweather and Strahan were introduced as "two guys who do not shy away from the spotlight, even though they come from two different parts of the sports world," by Buck, who added, "Michael Strahan and Floyd Mayweather are certainly kindred spirits when it comes to providing something exciting, and certainly, something appealing."

Buck began with a short film clip showed Mayweather hitting the speed bag, wearing a crown on his head during a promotional gig, and during a ringwalk with adviser, Leonard Ellerbe, beside him.

There were also highlights from Mayweather's dominant victory over Juan Manuel Marquez, as well as the moment during which he stopped Ricky Hatton in the 10th round with a left, check-hook.

Mayweather was also shown imitating Ray Charles during a break in training when he wore a dark pair of sunglasses, as well as clowning as he tossed dollar bills at the camera.

"No matter what they do, they can not beat me, man," said Mayweather, pounding his fist in his hand for emphasis. "There's other fighters in boxing, but there's only one entertainer.

Floyd Mayweather can go on Dancing With The Stars, Floyd Mayweather can go on all of the talk shows because he's versatile."

Below is a recap of what transpired primarily with Mayweather during the broadcast:

Mayweather entered the studio wearing a brown, leather jacket, brown shirt, and jeans, along with Strahan.

Buck to Strahan: The Giants miss you. They miss your leadership. They miss your presence. They miss you playing the run, playing the run as a guy who can also rush the quarterback.

Strahan: I miss them too. No matter when you quit, and when you think that you're ready, you still miss it. So don't let anybody tell you that 'I've retired and I don't miss it,' they're lying. You miss it because it's in you. I'm a football player, I'm an athlete. That's what I do.

Buck to Mayweather: Meanwhile, you've got Floyd who retired like Barbara Steisand and came back six minutes later. Now you're back, and, it's not official yet.

A man from the crowd screams in support of Pacquiao. Mayweather shrugs his shoulders and grins.

Buck to Mayweather: Incedentally, I saw the guy who yelled Pacquiao, and I'll point him out to you later. It's not official yet, but there's been a lot of talk about a March 13 fight with you and Pacquiao. Can you comment in any way on that?

Mayweather: I think Pacquiao is going to give me a good fight, but I've been around the sport for a long time, and I've been dominating the sport for 15 years. So, no one has defeated me yet. So we'll have to see.

Strahan: Translation -- To hell with Pacquiao, I'll whip his a**

Crowd applauds.

Strahan: That's why I'm here, man. I'm here to say what he can't say. Because I know where you're going with it, so I'm here to say what he can't say.

Mayweather smiles.

Mayweather: The thing is, I don't want the fans to be really shocked by what happens when we do happen to meet up, because it's not going to be nothing new, because he's been knocked out before, and he took a loss before.

Crowd reaction includes favorable applause mixed with boos, etc.

Buck: No translation needed there?

Strahan: No translation -- he said it all.

Buck: You're going to knock Pacquiao out is what I just heard?

Mayweather: I'll be victorious, you can believe that. You can believe it.

Buck to Mayweather: Do you care about the Tiger Woods thing?

Mayweather on the Tiger Woods controversy: I love Tiger Woods. He's only human. Everybody makes mistakes. That's his personal life. I'm going to support him and I'm going to stand behind him 100 percent. No one is perfect.

Just one month ago, they were screaming about how he was the best golfer ever, and, now he's the worst man on earth. I mean, I still love Tiger Woods. I think he's an extraordinary athlete and a great person.

Buck on a funny, HBO clip of Mayweather's eighth-round knockout of Henry Bruseles in January of 2005:

I saw this for the first time the other day. Do you know what I'm going to show? This is the brilliance of Floyd Mayweather.

Floyd Mayweather in a fight. He's in the ring. He's fighting somebody who is trying to take his head off. And Jim Lampley, who works for HBO, is at ringside, talking to Roy Jones.

The two are commentating in the fight, which [Floyd] is participating in. It happens to be right before the AFC-NFC championship games, and Floyd is listening to their conversations on the air.

And so, here is what transpires, this is great.

Lampley: So Roy, do you like the Steelers or the Patriots?

Mayweather, looking down and answering from the ring: 'The Patriots,' just before deftly pounding home a jab to the Bruseles' face to escape a neutral corner.

Buck: How great is that?

Strahan: That's amazing

Mayweather: I've worked out at Mark's house before. He held the mits for me.

Buck to Wahlberg: Well then you're playing both sides, because I understand that you're a Manny Pacquiao guy?

Wahlberg: I am very good friends with Manny, and I've been friends with Floyd. And as much as I wanted to see this fight happen, I'm actually very nervous, because this is the most important fight for boxing period.

Mayweather: Well, I'm an American citizen, and I want the American fans to stand behind me like they do our American soldiers.

I've been a champion for 10 of my 11 years in the sport. My record shows I am the best at what I do. I've been champion my whole career basically.

You've got to realize, the fans can't get in there and fight for [Pacquiao.] Once we get into that squared circle, it's just me and him. One on one. One on one.

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com





Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment