Wednesday 2 December 2009

Khan - I'll stop him - Sky Sports

Sky Sports



Amir Khan is predicting a knock-out victory over Dmitriy Salita in the first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title on Saturday night.

The Bolton fighter takes on the unbeaten American in Newcastle, live on Sky Box Office, in a fight which plenty of pundits are predicting could be a tough battle for the Olympic silver medalist.

Salita is 30-0-1 with 16 stoppage wins, while Khan has a defeat on his record - the shock first-round stoppage by Breidis Prescott in July last year.

But Khan (21-1) has since stepped up in weight and joined renowned American trainer Freddie Roach's camp.

"I really think I am going to take this guy out," Khan told Sky Sports News after an open workout at his Bolton base. "The fight is not going to go the full distance, I can put money on that, even though I don't bet.

"It is going to be exciting. It is going to be a tough fight. He is as quick as me, I don't think he is as powerful as me, even though he has got a 50 per cent record of knock-outs. Let's see what happens - it's going to be exciting."

Tough fight

Salita is undefeated but Khan feels that may even work to his own advantage. "It is going to be a tough fight no matter what," he added. "He is undefeated but I really think I have got the style to beat this guy. I don't think he has ever fought anyone as good as me.

"But still he has not tasted defeat before, whereas I have tasted defeat so I have got no fear going into this fight. I am walking into this fight as a world champion which is an advantage for me, in front of my home fans, so really I can see this fight going one way, which is my way."

Salita has questioned Khan's chin following the Prescott knockout, but the Brit responded: "That is out of date. I was a lightweight then, I have moved up.

"He's said a few things but if that is the only thing on me, let's see what happens on December 5. It is in Newcastle, it's on Sky Box Office, it could be one of the last fights in Britain that I have, so it is going to be a big fight for the fans.

"But let's see what happens. If he really thinks that is a big problem for me and that is a big thing for him to have on his side, I think he's wrong there."

Source: skysports.com




Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment