Monday 28 December 2009

Blood brothers: De La Hoya trusts Mosley, suspects Pacquiao -- Examiner

By Michael Marley, Examiner.com

Oscar de la Hoya, suddenly and brazenly pounding the public table for a fighter he makes money off to take blood and urine tests, may be having some fistic flashbacks.

Oscar, pounded into retirement by Mini Manny Pacquiao, says it should be no big deal for the Pinoy Idol to take random blood and urine exams, tests given at the whim and caprice of the testers, before a fight with Golden Boy repped Floyd Mayweather Jr.

To hear Oskie tell it, only a drug cheater would hesitate to do so.

In his autobiography “American Son,” penned in Oscar’s voice by Steve Springer, the Golden Boy reminisces about his second bout against Sugar Shane Mosley, now a VP at Oscar’s promotional company.

“I was looking forward to the rematch against Floyd because this time I would have Mayweather (Floyd Sr.) in my corner.

“When I saw Shane at the weigh-in, he looked different. He is always well cut, well defined. This time, though, he seemed bigger his muscles different. I know he’s a good athlete and I heard he had been doing some heavy lifting with weights, so I figured that’s what it was. He’d bulked up.

“I later heard his name had been linked to the BALCO steroid scandal although I know he said he never took anything and has never been charged with anything.

“I couldn’t believe it when the BALCO story broke because it was Shane. The Shane that I know, the Shane that I grew up with, is honest, the nicest person in boxing. To this day, I maintain he didn’t take anything. He’s not a cheater….”

At the close of Chapter 23 of the book, Oscar then writes:

“Shane and I have never talked about the BALCO allegations but I’m sure we will someday.”

So, in his own words, there you have it.

Oscar wants to protect Floyd Jr. but he could care less about Mosley’s Jan. 30 opponent, Andre Berto, or about protecting Mosley during their GBP promoted bout in Las Vegas.

No, Oscar is all about testing Pacman, the fearless fighter who shoved him into an ugly retirement, the little guy who made him quit on his stool.

(mlcmarley@aol.com)

Source: examiner.com

No comments:

Post a Comment