Sunday 8 November 2009

More of a runner than a gunner, Haye-Valuev post fight opinion

BoxingNewsWorld.blogspot.com

David Haye is certainly a good boxer. No doubt about that. And I have tons of respect for this now WBA heavyweight champion.

However, his performance against Nikolai Value didn’t really impress me and I think the judges got it wrong. Sure it wasn’t an easy fight to score but isn’t it a fact that if you’re a challenger, you have to take the fight to the champion? Isn’t it a fact that when a round is too close to call, you have to give credit to the more aggressive fighter? Well, I guess these facts are not facts at all because they were obviously not taken into consideration in this fight.

I watched the fight twice now to see if there’s anything that I missed. Guess what, there wasn’t and I am quite confident that Valuev won this fight by at least a round or two. Sure, Haye had Valuev hurt in the final round but he wasn’t dominant enough in that round to receive a 10-8 score, at least in my view. But I could be wrong.

Haye, with all his pre-fight bravados, didn’t do what he said we would do before the fight and didn’t live up to my expectation. What he was in that ring was more of a sprinter rather than a boxer, more of a runner rather than a gunner. To make matter worst, he had this excuse that he hurt his hands early in the fight so he was not able to be more aggressive as much as he would like to. Well, he used those very same “damaged” hands to hurt Valuev in the 12th round, didn’t he?

The thing is Haye is a talented and powerful fighter and I think he would have knocked down, if not knocked out, Valuev with those power bombs of his if hadn’t run all night.

No comments:

Post a Comment