Thursday 26 November 2009

Amir Khan 'living life of monk' ahead of WBA title fight against Dmitriy Salita

By Gareth A Davies , telegraph.co.uk

Khan, who defends the World Boxing Association light-welterweight title against unbeaten American Salita in Newcastle in nine days' time, also rebutted criticism of his move to the United States, insisting that rubbing shoulders with Manny Pacquiao, the world's No 1 pound for pound fighter, had developed within the 22 year-old the highest aspirations in the sport.

Khan said: "To have two world champions of similar weights in the same gym is just mad. In a way, Manny Pacquiao inspires me with what he has done in the game and has shown me what I would love to do.

"He won't stop being an inspiration. He's a great boxer to look up to and to train alongside.

"It's a massive confidence boost to me being around him. I pick up little things, even if it is little bits of technique, like setting a trap. When I fight in my style I try little things that Manny does, fast moves, fast feet, fast movement. I try to emulate him."

Khan travelled with Pacquiao and Roach to Las Vegas where his coach and mentor exploited Miguel Cotto in another electrifying fight for the Filipino who is becoming a boxing great.

Khan could not be better placed at this time. "I'm in Hollywood, but I live like a monk. I'm up at 5am and in bed early. I'm not out partying or messing around. Freddie would not accept that."

Reports that Khan had left the UK, he insisted "were blown out of proportion".

"The only reason to move me over to LA was to get rid of all the distractions in the UK. People leave me alone in LA and I've got no pressure on me. The next few years I want to live in the gym. I don't want to be one of those fighters caught up in all the distractions and the media and the fans, because that can destroy a fighter."

Salita, unbeaten in 31 fights, offers a serious threat to the world title Khan holds dear.

"I have studied Salita," Khan said. "He's a durable fighter, he's tough, young and hungry. He's got good fitness and he has the desire to be a world champion. He's dangerous in this fight.

"I'm not taking this fight lightly like I can just go in there and walk through him. But I know I have the skills to beat Salita, and if I stick to my game plan, and listen to my corner, I can make it an easier night for myself."

Source: telegraph.co.uk




Custom Search

No comments:

Post a Comment