Showing posts with label Odlanier Solis. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Odlanier Solis. Show all posts

Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Odlanier Solis-Nikolay Valuev Talks Begin -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

The promoters of Cuban-born, former Olympic gold medalist, Odlanier Solis (pictured at left, throwing punch), and former WBA heavyweight champion, Nikolay Valuev, of Russia, are in talks to set up an eliminator bout that has been ordered by the WBC.

The winner would be the mandatory challenger for WBC champion, Vitali Klitschko (39-2, 37 knockouts), of the Ukraine.

"This is a great honor for Odlanier and [Arena Promotions]. To become the [WBC's] no. 1 contender with only 16 pro fights means something," said Ahmet Öner, Solis' promoter with Arena Promotions. "Odlanier has been an amateur standout and also proved his extraordinary qualities since turning pro in 2007."

Long range goals for Solis are either Vitali Klitschko or his brother, Wladimir, who owns the WBO, IBF and IBO crowns.

"I am convinced that he is the only serious threat to the Klitschko brothers today," said Ohner, "and I hope that he will get the chance to prove me right very soon."

The 29-year-old Solis is coming off of last month's third-round knockout over Costa Rica's 35-year-old Carl Davis Drummond (26-3, 20 KOs), earning his 12th knockout, and, his sixth consecutive stoppage to improve to 16-0.

A two-time titlist, the 36-year-old Valuev (50-2, 34 knockouts) is coming off of November's 12-round, unanimous decision loss to England's David Haye (24-1, 22 KOs), who dethroned him as champion.

Ohner and Top Rank's CEO, Bob Arum, who handle Solis, and Don King and Sauerland Promotions, who deal with Valuev, have until April 30 to make the fight and avoid a purse bid.

"I talked to King. King called me about that fight with Solis and Valuev, and I told him that we're ready to make the deal," said Arum. "And he has a partner, Sauerland Promotions, and, hopefully, we'll be able to get something done this week if Valuev is going to go ahead go into this eliminator."

The eliminator is desired by Solis' manager, Tony Gonzalez.

"A box-offf between Solis and Valuev, that's probably the route we'll wind up taking. That's really Ahmet and Bob's job to do," said Gonzalez. "They've got to pretty much square away whatever deal they can put together, and then, if not, then it goes to purse bids. At that point, we know the routine. So, whoever wins the purse bid is the one who takes the fight."

Valuev-Solis would be a match up of two, massive fighters, with Valuev having been the largest heavyweight champion in the sport's history.

The seven-foot Valuev weighed 316 pounds for his last bout, with the nearly 6-foot-2 Solis tipping the scales at 269.

"I am sure that this fight will be an epic battle. The whole world will watch when those two tanks collide in the ring," said Oner. "Solis is bringing the excitement back to the heavyweight division. He will end the Klitschko's reign and on the way there, hopefully, become the first man to knock out the Russian giant."

Whether the fight would take place in America or Germany remains to be seen.

"The Klitschkos have a lot of name both in Europe and over here," said Gonzalez, "But if the American television, HBO, or Showtime hasn't shown too much interest in the Klitschkos, why would they show more interest in a Valuev-Solis fight than the would a Wladimir Klitschko-Eddie Chambers?"

Gonzalez was referring to the fact that Klitschko's recent 12th-round stoppage of Chambers was not televised in America, even as it was a big hit in Europe, and, particularly, the sold out, ESPRIT Arena, in Düsseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany where the fight took place.

Valuev and Solis have some loyalty in Germany as well, the latter, having fought many of his early bouts there.

"Valuev and Solis have built followings in Germany," said Gonzalez. "So all logic and reasoning lean toward the fight being in Germany, but crazier things have happened in our sport."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

Saturday, 10 April 2010

WBC Orders Valuev vs Solis; Ray Austin To Sue WBC? -- Eastside Boxing

Eastside Boxing

ARENA’s Cuban heavyweight sensation Odlanier Solis advances to the no. 1 spot in the new WBC rankings. Originally „La Sombra“ was scheduled to fight Ray Austin in a final elimination bout but Austin declared to be unavailable due to legal problems. Therefore Solis took Austin’s spot in the rankings. „This is a great honour for Odlanier and ARENA“, stated promoter Ahmet Öner. „To become the no. 1 contender with only 16 pro-fights means something. Odlanier has been an amateur standout and also proved his extraorinary qualities since turning pro in 2007. I am convinced that he is the only serious threat to the Klitschko brothers today and I hope that he will get the chance to prove me right very soon..“

But before facing WBC champion Vitali Klitschko Solis will have to suceed in his biggest challenge so far. Instead of Austin the three-time world amateur champion and 2004 Olympic gold medallist has been ordered to fight the next highest rated contender Nikolay Valuev in a WBC final elimination bout. The 7-foot-giant has lost his WBA championship title against David Haye by mid-decision last November and has an impressive record of 50 wins in 53 pro-fights including 34 stoppages.

„I am sure that this fight will be an epic battle“, says Öner. „The whole world will watch when those two tanks collide in the ring. Solis is bringing the excitement back to the heavyweight division. He will end the Klitschko’s reign and on the way there hopefully become the first man to knock out the Russian giant.“

Ray Austin Ready To Take Legal Action

Heavyweight contender Ray Austin, rated number 1 by the WBC, is prepared to take legal action against the WBC if Jose Sulaiman follows through with his plans to cut Austin out of its next elimination bout. John Tripp, one of the bankruptcy attorneys involved with Austin issued the following statement:

Ray Austin is ready, willing and able to fight in the next elimination bout. The WBC decision to announce the title eliminator between Solis and Valuev merely because of Ray Austin filing bankruptcy and rejectiing his personal management and promotional agreement with Don King Productions is clearly a violation of Ray’s rights under Federal Bankruptcy Law and we intend to file a complaint in the United State Bankruptcy Court in the Northern District of Ohio against WBC for violating the provisions of the bankruptcy code. I have had some dealings in boxing and this type of abuse has been going on for too long. We previously advised the WBC, on multiple occasions, that Ray was available to box Solis or any other fighter designated by the WBC, but they decided to ignore Ray Austin’s right in his #1 position. Over the weekend we will be investigation possible racketeering, conspiracy, and RICO charges against the WBC and other parties. If Jose Sulaiman wants another debacle like Graciano Rocchigiainni, he is well on his way.

The WBC is not going to get away with ignoring its own rules yet again.

Source: eastsideboxing.com

Sunday, 21 March 2010

Odlanier Solis Stops Carl Drummond, Eyes Title Shot -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

As an amateur, Cuban-born, Odlanier Solis defeated future heavyweight world champions, Sultan Ibragimov, and, David Haye, respectively, of Russia, and, England.

The talented fighter went on to earn an Olympic gold medal in the 2004 Olympics for Cuba, ending his amateur career with an outstanding record of 347-12.

Three years ago, Solis successfully defected from Cuba to America with the help of his present manager,Tony Gonzalez, along with another Cuban-born gold medalist, Yuriorkis Gamboa (17-0, 15 KOs), who is now a 28-year-old WBA featherweight (126 pounds) champion promoted by Top Rank CEO, Bob Arum.

Although he is not yet a world champion, Solis wants to be, very badly.

"I believe that ever since I turned professional, my goal has always been the same, and I've felt that I've always been ready to challenge for the most prized crown in this industry, which is the heavyweight crown," said the 29-year-old, Solis, during a recent conference call interview with reporters.

"I've been ready since then, I'm ready now, and I'll always be ready," said Solis, who is living in Miami. "Once given that opportunity, I'll take full advantage of it and make the best of it."

On Saturday, at Mallory Square in Key West, Fla., as part of the Top Rank-promoted, Top Rank Live series that was televised on Fox, Solis took yet another huge step toward making his title hopes a reality -- this in the Southern-most portion of Florida that is just 90 miles from Solis' native Cuba.

Solis scored what was considered a third-round knockout over Costa Rica's 35-year-old Carl Davis Drummond (26-3, 20 KOs), earning his 12th knockout, and his sixth consecutive stoppage to improve to 16-0.

Drummond essentially quit on his stool between the third and fourth round, this, after being in trouble near the end of the third as Solis, who controlled the fight throughout, hammered the taller Drummond with one blow after another.

When asked by the referee if he could continue, Drummond shook his head "No," several times, indicating that he had had enough.

In victory, Solis successfully defended the WBC International title he earned his last bout, October's second-round knockout of former heavyweight title challenger, Monte Barrett.

"I thought that Odlanier looked very good," Arum said of Solis, who weighed 268 pounds compared to 228 for Drummond. "I think that he's a tough guy to beat. I think that he could beat any heavyweight around."

The loss was the third straight for Drummond, who had fallen, respectively, by decisions to former world champion, Ruslan Chagaev (25-1-1, 17 KOs), and, to Derric Rossy (23-2, 13 KOs).

Drummond's loss to Chagaev, by sixth-round, technical decision following a head butt by Chagaev was for the WBA title. The one against Rossy was for the vacant fringe USNBC crown.

Arum said that he is now looking at lining up a title shot for Solis against any of the four heavyweight champions.

WBC king, Vitali Klitscho (39-2, 37 KOs), who is 38, is scheduled to defend his crown against 31-year-old, Polish-born, nearly 6-3, Albert Sosnowski (45-2-1, 27 KOs), of Brentwood Essex, England, on May 29 at Veltins Arena, Gelsenkirchen, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

Earlier on Saturday, Klitschko's younger brother, 33-year-old IBF and WBO king Wladimir Klitschko (54-3, 48 KOs), scored a 12th-round knockout over 27-year-old Eddie Chambers (35-2, 18 KOs), of Philadelphia, at the Esprit Arena in Duesseldorf, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany.

The victory was the 12th straight for Wladimir Klitschko, and his ninth knockout during that time, setting up a defense possibly against mandatory challenger, Alexander Povetkin (19-0, 14 KOs), an earlier decision winner over Chambers.

"I think that Odlanier has a helluva shot with the Klitschkos, and, certainly, against Wladimir," said Arum. "We almost had a title shot set up with Vitali before he went with the Polish fighter, but I certainly think that we'll get one of them sometime later in the year."

There is also 29-year-old WBA king, David Haye (23-1, 21 KOs), of England, who is scheduled to defend his crown against 38-year-old, former two-time world champion, John Ruiz (44-8-1, 30 KOs), of Chelsea, Mass., on April 3.

"I would sure go after David Haye if he was availble, but I don't think that David Haye wouId fight him, but we'll see," said Arum.

"But I think that Odlanier would demolish David Haye. I just think that he's ready, and that he would beat anybody around," said Arum. "The only guys that we would have to say would be the favorites against him are the Klitschko brothers."

Arum said that he believes Povetkin "doesn't want to take the fight" against Wladimir Klitschko, which Arum said makes Top Rank-promoted, Nigerian-born, former world champion, Samuel Peter (34-3, 27 KOs), of Las Vegas, "the next mandatory."

On March 12 in Grapevine, Tex., Peter scored a second-round knockout of Nagy Aguilera (15-3, 10 KOs). It was Peter's fourth straight knockout since a 10-round majority decision loss to Chambers on March 27.

"I think Peter has to face Wladimir first, because he's the mandatory," said Arum. "If Odlanier doesn't get a title shot, he'll fight some other heavyweight. But he's ready, and he'll beat anybody around."

Peter already has lost to both Klitschkos, including a December 2005, unanimous decision setback to Wladimir Klitschko, whom he floored twice during that bout.

In October of 2008, Peter was also dethroned as WBC titlist by Vitali Klitschko, who stopped Peter in the eighth round.

"Obviously it's [the goal] getting one of the champions to agree to fight Solis," said Arum in an earlier interview, "and I'm very, very optimistic that that will happen with Vitali or Wladimir sometime before the end of the year, definitely."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com