Tuesday 9 March 2010

Manny Pacquiao Still Wants Floyd Mayweather, But Joshua Clottey is Tough -- FanHouse

By Lem Satterfield, FanHouse

Seven-division champion Manny Pacquiao still wants to fight Floyd Mayweather, would continue battling in the ring even as an elected official, longs to do so at New York's Madison Square Garden, and said that basketball is a huge part of his early preparation for his bouts.

During a live chat with FanHouse's Michael David Smith on Monday, Pacquiao also revealed that Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and Marvin Hagler are among his favorite, all-time fighters, and that Erik Morales and Miguel Cotto are the two hardest punchers that he believes he has faced.

The 31-year-old Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 knockouts) of the Philippines will defend his WBO welterweight (147 pounds) title against Ghanian-born, 32-year-old Joshua Clottey (35-5, 20 KOs) on Saturday at The Dallas Cowboys' Stadium in Arlington, Tex., marking the first time in history that the $1.2 billion venue will play host to a boxing event.



The March 13 date was originally intended for a megabout between Pacquiao and undefeated, 33-year-old Floyd Mayweeather (40-0, 25 KOs), but their fight negotiations disintegrated over a disagreement concerning the implimentation of Olympic drug testing, leaving Mayweather to face 38-year-old, WBA welterweight super champion, Shane Mosley (46-5, 39 KOs), on May 1 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Pacquiao has filed a lawsuit seeking damages for defamation of character against Mayweather, his father, Floyd Mayweather Sr., his uncle and trainer, Roger Mayweather, and president Oscar De La Hoya, and, CEO Richard Schaefer, of Golden Boy Promotions.

Pacquiao believes that the group has tarnished his image by accusing him of steroid use. Yet, despite any acrimony that might exist between the two camps, the Filipino star can still envision himself in the ring against Mayweather.

"It would be a fun, interesting fight. I would need to get on my running shoes and chase him. It would be a good fight," said Pacquiao. "Hopefully, he will fight me, because it would be a great fight. I think it would be entertaining, and good if he actually fights me."

Pacquiao dismissed any notion that Clottey is a cheap substitute for Mayweather. A former IBF champion with solid defensive skills and supreme punching accuracy, Clottey will be the largest man Pacquiao will have ever faced.

In his last bout, in June, Clottey fell short of a victory against then-WBO welterweight champion, Miguel Cotto (34-2, 27 KOs), whom Pacquiao dethroned via 12th-round knockout in November.

"I just thought Clottey was the right fight. In many people's eyes, Clottey beat Cotto. He's a very tough opponent, and he's never been in a bad fight. He's someone who's willing to stand in there with me and fight me," said Pacquiao.

"He's a strong guy, he's a tough guy, he's very quick and he doesn't give up," said Pacquiao. "That's going to be something that I will have to overcome."

Pacquiao has done pretty much exactly that since hooking up with trainer Freddie Roach, who guided him to a title during their first bout together in June of 2001.



That match up was against Lehlo Ledwaba, whom Pacquiao stopped in six rounds for the IBF super bantamweight (122 pounds) crown and his second-ever world title.

Since the victory over Ledwaba, Pacquiao is 18-1-2, with 15 knockouts under Roach, who turned 50 this past Friday. Since losing to Erik Morales in March of 2005, Pacquiao is 11-0, with eight knockouts.

That run includes two knockouts of Morales, victories over Marco Antonio Barrera and Juan Manuel Marquez, and, in his last four bouts, knockouts of David Diaz, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, and, Cotto, respectively.

Pacquiao has earned Fighter Of The Year during each of the past three, and was named Fighter Of The Decade ending 2010. Roach has been named Trainer Of The Year an unprecdented three, and, four times.

"He [Roach] knows my opponents very well. He understands their strategy and prepares me for their style," said Pacquiao. "Also, he understands what my strengths are and my abilities."

Pacquiao said Morales and Cotto are the two hardest punchers he has faced.

"Morales and Cotto are the hardest punchers. They all hurt, but some of the harder ones are Miguel Cotto and Erik Morales," said Pacquiao, a deeply spiritual man who says prayer helps him to endure punishment over the course of his bouts.

"I just keep thinking that God is not going to let me down, isn't going to let me get hurt," said Pacquiao. "So I just take those punches and keep going, because I know God has protected me."

Known for his gruelling workouts under head trainer, Alex Ariza, and assistant, Buboy Fernandez, Pacquiao said that he begins preparing for fights as soon as the bout agreement is signed.

But Pacquiao's initial training regimen might surprise you.

"When I sign a contract for my next fight, that's when I start getting into shape. For cardio, I'll start playing basketball and jogging, and then it's with seven or eight weeks left that I get with Freddie (pictured below, at right, with Pacquiao) and do the real training for the fight," said Pacquiao.
"But basketball is a big part of it. It's fun, and it's good exercise, and it's similar to boxing in that it's stop and go, stop and go. Playing basketball gets me in shape to go three minutes hard, then have a break," said Pacquiao. "In my fights, I'm never stationary. I like to go forward, and basketball is the same way. There's more to training than that, but the basketball is very good for my boxing, for my cardio, and good for my legs."

But the real work begins when he transitions into the roadwork, calisthentics and sparring, Pacquiao said.

"I run in the morning for 40 minutes straight, then I do stretching and about 1,000 situps," said Pacquiao. "Then I go to sleep. Then I get up at about 1:00, train at the gym for three hours, and do 1,000 more situps. And then I sleep again because I'm tired."

But there will be no rest for the weary following his fight with Clottey, for Pacquiao must then gear up for a congressional race in the Philippines.

In an earlier interview with FanHouse, Pacquaio said that he will begin campaigning for that position soon after his fight with Clottey, with the elections taking place during early to mid-May.

"In the election, I am leading. And the start of campaigning is March 26, so it will not be until after my fight. After the fight, I will go back to the Philippines and start campaigning," said Pacquiao last month.

"I like helping people. I think I was put in this position so that I can help my country, help my countrymen. People can use me as an example to learn for themselves that anything is possible with hard work," said Pacquiao, during the live chat.

"I just feel that being in politics is another way to help people. I don't think the politics will affect my boxing," said Pacquiao, "because boxing is my business, and I don't expect to give up my business just because I'm an elected official."

Pacquiao has gone back and forth concerning when or if he'll retire any time soon, but he addressed the issue, once again, during the chat when asked if Clottey would be his final fight.

"I don't think so. I hope to continue to fight. Boxing is my job and my love. I'm doing what I love, what I'm passionate about. So I want to continue. And I want to continue giving the fans what they want to see," said Pacquiao, addding that Madison Square Garden is one place in particular where he dreams of making an appearance.

"New York City is a place I would like to fight. There have been a lot of great fights there, and my brother has fought there. So I'd certainly like to fight there," said Pacquiao.

"I'd like to keep boxing for years. There are a few fights out there for me. It depends on a lot. My mom is asking me to retire, so I have to consider that," said Pacquiao. "I also have other things I want to do, but I'd like to continue fighting. It really depends on what happens in the next couple of fights."

Source: boxing.fanhouse.com

***




No comments:

Post a Comment